Friday, March 23, 2012

Rain Delay

1 John 5:5(NIV)
Who is it that overcomes the world? Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.
Irritated at yet another delay on an already long trip overseas and having already read the airline magazine’s October issue on the trip over two weeks earlier I decided to just stare out the window at the rain.  At least I don’t have to be out there in it, I thought.  
Sitting in my seat over the wing I happened to notice a yellow square painted on the ground just beyond the leading edge of the wing.  A stenciled message read, “No Standing.”  I wondered what this was for and my curiosity got the best of me.  That is until the pilot fired up the engines and I realized that the yellow box was marking an area to be avoided because of the proximity of the engine.  I watched as the falling rain was sucked into the powerful engine.  It was then I understood the point of the yellow box.
It made me think about how often we get sucked into the world’s system.  We underestimate its power.  Materialism, selfishness, greed, lust and hatred for others; so many things strive to pull us in as we struggle to overcome the world.
1 John 5 is all about overcoming the world.  So what is the key?  The power to overcome the world begins with our trust in Christ.  It’s all about Jesus.  He’s the one who already overcame the world and He’s the author and finisher of our faith.  If we are to overcome the system of this world with all of its trappings we must be connected to Jesus Christ.  
Jeremiah 32:17(NIV)
Ah, Sovereign LORD, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment